India and other South-Asian countries have made leapfrogs in the technology sector to adapt to digital lifestyles. In recent years, there has been a disturbing trend towards mass surveillance by government agencies, the invasion of privacy, and acts to curb free speech online. The Digital Empowerment Foundation (DEF) organized the first Digital Citizen Summit on the 11th November 2016 to address these issues. The key objective of the summit was to generate actionable policy-based recommendations and lay down steps to promote human rights online.
Taking the initiative forward, DEF will be organizing the second Digital Citizen Summit in 2017 in New Delhi. We invite scholars, researchers, academics, civil society organisations, and government representatives to engage by presenting papers, participating in sessions, conducting workshops and demonstrations, and attending the summit. We hope to make this a truly multilateral summit by inviting all stakeholder groups to participate. This time, the objective is to find a solution to bridge the digital divide, and finding ways to providing as many with the means to access information, and creating a platform for youth, women and social media enthusiasts to raise awareness about internet rights, digital literacy, and digital security.
The summit will have the following format:
WGC Meeting – 19.7.2017
Announcement of selected proposals – 25.7.2017
Last date to submit finalised selected proposals – 30.8.2017
The Program Committee 2017 is responsible for evaluating all the workshop proposals received. A preliminary list of selected workshop proposals will be announced in June which workshop organizers are expected to finalize their speakers or coordinate on a merger session (if required) within a month. The draft program agenda will be published by end of June.
Responsibilities of Workshop Organizers
- Be inclusive and foster new connections between participants
- Respect diversity of opinion, experience and background
- Design your workshop to fit under Digital Citizen Summit 2017 themes
- Respect your time allocation, plan to maximize the use of the time available
- Invite different organizations or projects to collaborate on the workshop with you
- Promote the Digital Citizen Summit 2017 among your network and promote your session
- Submit a session summary report within 2 weeks after the conference
- Participate in the Synthesis Document development
- Successful Workshop Submission Examples